Monday, May 16, 2011

Chicken Salad (Minus Breakfast Slurpees)

So one of my friends has a lot of stories about "Chicken Salad" - an old coworker who was nasty as HELL. She drank a huge slurpee thing before work every day, she ate food with her fingers...there are more stories about her nast-ness but that's beyond the point.

When I was flipping through Vegan A Go-Go! I came across a faux chicken salad recipe. I laughed my ass off when I remembered Chicken Salad and decided that I must try this recipe, if only because it reminds me of hilarious stories.



Faux Chicken Salad Pg 51

According to the book,this recipe is sure to impress. Therefore, I had high expectations.

First, you're gonna cube the loaf of tempeh, so it's reminiscent of cubes of chicken (gross?)



Then, you're going to steam up the little cubie-pies. I don't have a steamer, so I did this the crude way: put a little water in a shallow pan, let it start to boil, then throw the tempeh into the mix. The water will evaporate and steam up the tempeh.

 While you wait for your cubie-pies to cool, you're gonna make the sauce for the salad fiesta. Mix 1/2 cup of the vegan mayonnaise of your choice, 2 tsp of mustard, and 2 tsp of tamari.



BTdubs: I used dijon mustard because another recipe I want to try called for dijon. I would like to note that I think this MADE the recipe. I can't imagine it with yellow mustard....seems too bland in my imagination.

Then, once your sauce is made, you're gonna dice up a dill pickle, half an onion, some fresh parsley, a garlic clove, and a celery stalk.

 I think this could have done with more celery and less onion, but that's just me. I am also obsessed with celery, and since I used dijon mustard, the onion's bite wasn't as intense. I also didn't have parsley so I used fresh dill instead. Fate? I think so. It was fucking DELIGHTFUL.

So once you're done, you're gonna throw it all together.

AND SLAP IT ON SOME TOAST (WITH SOME ARUGALA MAYBE?!)

 AND THEN EAT IT.

This definitely DID impress. I'm bringing this gloriousness into work as a sandwich tomorrow! YUMTASTIC!

RATINGS:

Ease of preparation: 5/5 
Seriously could not have been easier. Unless I actually had a steamer. :-]

Deliciousness: 5/5  
AMAZING. Delightful! Absolutely scrumptious. I will probably use this as a staple lunch option from now on. :-]

Prettines: 3/5
With the toast and the arugala, it had a nice little contrast of colors, but other than that it's kind of boring. Chunky stuff in brownish sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment