Monday, April 18, 2011

Beany-Lemony-Potatoey Dish of Gloriousness

Alrighty fools, this one's from Vegan On The Cheap, written by Robin Robertson. [[New favorite cookbook!]]



What's so great about this cookbook is that all the recipes cost less than or equal to $2 per serving. Awesome, right?! Plus, the recipes are fairly simple (inexpensive meals would have to require few ingredients) so they also all seem super easy.

So, I have this casserole dish. And I hadn't used it yet. So I figured....since I'm gonna be forcing myself to try all my cookbooks out, I may as well force myself to try all my kitchen tools out!

I chose to make:

White Beans and Lemon Potatoes with Olives and Tomatoes Pg. 165

First, you chop up the potatoes and sprinkle some olive oil, fresh crushed garlic, salt, and pepper on them. Then you bake the suckers.



The recipe told me to cut the potatoes up into 2 inch pieces...I didn't know if it was supposed to be cubed or what, so I decided to just slice them up. I also figured that would mean they'd cook faster. And circles are freakin' cool.

So while those guys were cooking, I tossed together the rest of the recipe's ingredients. That included some white beans, some fresh parsley (YUM), some sundried tomatoes, kalmata olives, and fresh lemon juice.


I have a thing for fresh green things [[I once ate grass because it looked so freaking green and fresh]] so I almost just ate the bowl of this stuff. IT SMELLED SO GOOD!

So once the potatoes were tender, I threw this delicious green fiesta into the casserole dish and baked it for 10 minutes.

THE RESULT:


RATINGS:


Ease of Preparation: 5/5 
The easiest thing ever. Quick, and all you really do is slap a bunch of stuff together and throw it in an oven.


Deliciousness: 5/5 
Very fresh, toasty, and bright. The lemon juice and parsley combination really brought this dish together, and the white potatoes / white beans creaminess gave it a really scrumptious texture.

Prettiness: 3/5 
A messy little salad, looks kind of like any other potato salad, but the colors are awesomer than usual potato salads might be.

Thanks, Vegan On The Cheap! Definitely making this again. I'll probably put it in a pita and take it to lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment