Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hiccu-mah!

This is another recipe from Color Me Vegan by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau.







The recipe I chose is...


Jicama Slaw Pg. 175

Now, I'd never had jicama before. I do remember having talked to someone in a grocery store about it. She had this big brown ball hanging out in her cart, and I simply had to ask her what it was. She told me that it was jicama, and it goes very well in salads. She said it's a refreshing, crispy root vegetable and it's amazing.

So, two years later, I finally found a recipe that made jicama look delicious. It's basically a vegetable FIESTA.

Here's a picture of the delicious produce, just waiting to be thrown together in gloriousity....


The jicama is the giant brown ball on the right.

For this recipe, I peeled the skin off the jicama and then cut it up into matchstick-sized pieces.

YUMMMMMMMMMMM.

Then, as with all good recipes, you combine this fabulous, crispy, light, excellent vegetable with a bunch of other delicious vegetables to create a...

FIESTA OF DELICIOUSNESS X 10THOUSAND


This is about 3 pounds worth of shredded or chopped veggies. Carrots, cabbage, jicama, and cilantro (eee! favorite!) are all hanging out in this huge bowl. Awesome.

I freaked out with excitement and ate a few jicama slices....

Finally, to make this pile o' veggies into a slaw-ish style meal, the recipe asks you to create a dressing for it. Some of the ingredients are lime juice, chili powder, agave nectar, and rice vinegar. I improvised a little because I only had one lime (I probably needed about 4) and no chili powder. I ended up using lemon and lime juice, and a packet of guacamole seasoning I hadn't used. (VERY SPICY!)


It looks like a mess, but it smelled DIVINE.

In the end, I slapped some of this dressing on my pile o' veggies and created...

JICAMA SLAW: THE BEST 3 LB VEGGIE FIESTA ON THE PLANET!!!!


YEAH! I ATE IT WITH GLEE!

Now go make some and eat it with glee (with me).

RATINGS:


Ease of preparation: 3/5
There's no actual cooking involved, but there's a hell of a lot of chopping and slicing and peeling going on in this recipe.


Deliciousness: 3/5
It tastes like a very good, unconventional salad. It's nothing particularly special, except for the fact that jicama isn't a common veggie in many dishes so it's interestingly odd.


Prettiness: 3/5 
Basically just looks like a colorful salad / coleslaw / veggie-fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment